Best practices in public outreach will be a collection of articles describing experiences in winning new volunteers, partners, content, and audiences. Given that several chapters have already developed successful projects to engage new target groups or deepen relationships to new RMwiki and RMfanon contributors, this page is a forum for those who want to share their knowledge and for those who want to spread the word.
This is not a comprehensive list. If you would like to share your ideas on how to engage new people, please write your article here or help to expand best practice articles. Be bold!
If you don’t have much experience yet, but you would like to share your knowledge about us or tell people about the benefits you receive from contributing to RMwiki, then find a project here suited to your own background. Anybody can start his or her own public outreach project. Special skills are not required. These pages are developed by volunteers and serve as a step-by-step tutorial. Every project targets a different group and gives special tips on how to approach and interact in this particular environment. Working in public outreach, it is helpful to keep some general strategies in mind!
If you have done great public outreach work but you are not sure how to document your experience read these guidelines first!
Join the team! Edit
A team of RMwiki contributors from different countries is working on extending and improving the best practice pages on this wiki. Please feel invited to join the team by adding your name on our team members list.
Please help us to improve the following pages so that a (new) RMwiki contributor is able to successfully accomplish a public outreach project. </translate>
- Best practices in building a content partnership with a cultural institution
- Best practices in giving an RMwiki presentation
- Best practices in exercises for RMwiki newcomers
- Best practices in photography events
- Best practices in hosting an IRC open meeting
- Best practices in using CentralNotice
- Best practices in teaching library classes
- Best practices for working with community members
- Best practices in mailing
- Best practices for hosting an in-person editing party
- Best practices for reaching out to projects in multiple languages
- Best practices in training adults
- Best practices in working with developers
- Best practices on speed dating on Free Knowledge
- List of successful grant applications
- Your best practices